Our-company-headline-image

OUR COMPANY

Mission: The Unmet Need of Dry AMD

Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) is the leading cause of irreversible blindness in the developed world, robbing older individuals of their sight and autonomy. New treatments have transformed lives for patients with “wet” AMD, but benefit just 15% of all patients with late-stage disease.  The remaining 85% of patients with AMD have the “dry” form. In fact, early in disease, all patients start with dry AMD.

There is currently NO TREATMENT for dry AMD

An estimated 1 in 11 individuals has a diagnosis of AMD by 65 years of age. This rises to 1 in 4 by age 75.  AMD accounts for over half of all referrals to the CNIB and is referred to as a “time bomb of vision loss” by the American Academy of Ophthalmology. With an aging population, the need for treatment has never been greater.

We are dedicated to saving sight of patients with Age Related Macular Degeneration

Vision: Commitment to Care and Providing a Treatment

Turning science into medicine is not a straight arrow that points one way. While great science drives great medicine, extensive knowledge from the clinic must strategically guide early research.

Driven by a passion for patient care, we have engineered our scientific program and developed a translational platform that extends from disease model, to biomarker, to compounds that have pre-clinical efficacy with known clinical safety.

1-science

Method

TMi’s science includes a research model of dry AMD that develops the disease phenotype – both late disease and high-risk clinical features. With unprecedented similarities to clinical disease, new treatments can be tested with greater predictive value when moving towards the clinic.

2-medicine

Patients with early dry AMD accumulate little deposits known as drusen. Some patients at particularly high risk of vision loss may also develop what are known as pseudodrusen. Late in disease, drusen and pseudodrusen give way to patches of tissue loss known as Geographic Atrophy (GA).

3-phara

The path from Science to Medicine can be slow. TMi solves this critical hurdle by re-formulating an investigational new drug already demonstrated to be safe in Phase II clinical trial for non-ophthalmic indications. We are developing this drug for the treatment of AMD and other ophthalmic indications. Further, TMi uniquely aligns its pre-clinical markers of clinical trial endpoints approved by the US FDA. Together, these steps shave years off the development timeline.